When freshly baked, these macaroons have a delightfully crisp outer shell and a comfortable, creamy inside. I’m a fantastic hoarder of surplus egg whites from making custards, ice-creams and wealthy truffles. I freeze them in small containers, able to deploy for all types of baked treats.
If you made the napkin cakes from my recipe a fortnight in the past and saved the egg whites within the freezer, you’ll have the precise amount for this recipe; defrost them by inserting them within the fridge the day earlier than they’re wanted. The macaroons hold for a couple of days, however will soften over time. Keep any leftovers uncovered in a bowl between sheets of crumpled baking paper.
200g egg whites (from 5 giant eggs)
380g golden caster sugar
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tsp vanilla essence
¼ tsp high quality sea salt
360g unsweetened coconut threads/shredded coconut (not desiccated)
160g plain flour, sifted
100g flaked almonds
200g darkish chocolate buttons, for dipping
1. Place the egg whites, sugar, maple syrup, vanilla and salt in a big heatproof mixing bowl and whisk to mix.
2. Quarter-fill a saucepan (giant sufficient for the blending bowl to sit down securely on high) with water and carry to a boil. Lower the warmth so the water is barely simmering, then place the bowl containing the egg whites on high; the water shouldn’t be touching the bottom of the bowl. Whisk the combination slowly and repeatedly in a figure-8 sample, till the sugar has practically dissolved and the combination is heat to the contact (about 5 minutes).
3. Remove the bowl from the warmth and add the coconut and flour. Stir nicely to mix, then cowl the bowl and refrigerate till agency (about 2 hours, and for as much as 2 days).
4. When able to bake, preheat the oven to 160C (180C standard). Line two baking trays with baking paper (or prepare dinner in two batches if you happen to solely have one tray) and unfold out the flaked almonds on a big plate.
5. Remove the macaroon combination from the fridge (it is going to be agency and sticky). Form balls in regards to the dimension of golf balls, weighing about 40g (a latch-release ice-cream scoop, when you’ve got one, is available in very helpful right here), and drop them onto the plate with the flaked almonds. Roll and coat every macaroon with the almond flakes (you could have to press them flippantly to make sure the flakes stick), then switch onto the lined baking tray, spacing them a couple of centimetres aside.
6. Bake for 25-Half-hour till the macaroons are a lightweight golden-brown. Remove the tray from oven and permit to chill on a wire rack.
7. To soften the chocolate for dipping, place the buttons in a small bowl and stir gently on high of a pan of simmering water. One at a time, dip the flat backside floor of every macaroon into the melted chocolate, then instantly flip upside-down and place again onto the lined baking tray. Allow the chocolate to set earlier than serving – about an hour at room temperature, or sooner if you happen to place them within the fridge.
The better of Good Weekend delivered to your inbox each Saturday morning. Sign up here.